Know why you want followers
I know you just read that and went “Um, more money. Duh.” and you’d be right to say that. But what I mean by “know why you want followers” is know your end game.
This typically splits into three categories for businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Marketing channel: Do you want to use Instagram to drive people to a place, other piece of content like your blog, or just make them aware of your brand
- Sales channel: Do you want to encourage people to buy either direct from your profile (with Instagram Shopping or sending them to your online store)
- Revenue channel: Do you want to build an influencer following and get paid to post on behalf of other brands on top of original content?
After identifying yourprimary Instagram objective (even if you eventually want all three), it helps you know what kind of posts you want and how you need to engage.
- Marketing channel: Higher frequency, fun, engaging posts. Spending a lot of time engaging on other profiles as well to build your brand
- Sales channel: Education for your customers on not only the products but their benefits. Spending strategic time engaging on other accounts (see tip 5)
- Revenue channel: Post all kinds of content to test in order to show proven engagement metrics (link clicks, impressions, follower growth, and proven ability to be a sales or marketing channel)