Like and comment on other people’s posts
Liking and commenting on other accounts’ posts is the digital version of striking up a conversation with a potential lead or customer. That being said, you don’t want to engage on random posts. Similar to how you want the right people to find you, you want to engage with the right people.
Try this framework to get started:
- Look for accounts of companies and brands similar to yours
- Look for accounts of companies and brands who cater to a similar audience to you
After you’ve identified those accounts, look at who they follow and begin to engage.
When engaging, keep in mind:
- Liking and commenting should be genuine. Asking for a followback can appear crass
- Join a conversation that’s already going on, sharing some love or tagging a friend who needs to see the content
- Like freely, but be aware to not bombard their notifications with likes on every single one of their posts. I aim to like anywhere from 3-10 pictures on someone’s account when I’m engaging for the first time
There’s also tertiary benefit if the accounts engage back (even if they don’t follow) – their followers can see the engagement. That means you may still gain more followers even if the one account in question never follows you.